Appraisers Pushing Back!
Solidifi has taken the disrespect to another level…
Appraisers Pushing Back Against AMC Bad Behavior!
Appraisers have finally had enough of bad behavior by AMCs. VaCAP received the following email from an appraiser, who by the way is not located in Virginia. VaCAP spoke to the author concerning the email and found out a few more details. First, the author does not do residential work as they are a Certified General nor do they work for AMCs and are not on any AMC roster. Somehow, this nonresidential appraiser received this email from Solidifi.
VaCAP commends our colleague for stepping up and taking action. Something we all should be doing.
I obtained this e-mail list so that I could inform some about the e-mail that Solidifi sent out yesterday to some of its appraisers. The e-mail has made the social media rounds and it is an opportunity to educate some on how the AMC system is further degrading itself. 2017 was the year of the mass e-mails and lowest bid offers.
This is current and maybe can put all AMCs on notice that they have to change their ways. The Solidifi e-mail and the Appraisal Nation blasts to 200 appraisers are something that needs to be made public or at least be communicated to industry participants. If this e-mail and the blast e-mails to 200 appraisers for turn time and bid are acceptable, what will be acceptable in 2018?
I composed the following and have been gathering e-mails of people at Solidifi but will leave this with you now as there might an opportunity for all of the coalitions to make a statement to the AMC industry that is long past due.
The following e-mail is being sent to all of the lenders who use you as an AMC. You have crossed a line and the continued deterioration of the respect to appraisers has got to come to a stop. It is no longer acceptable.
To whom it may concern:
Appraisal management companies most likely sell their services to lenders with the idea that appraisers actually like to work with them and that appraisers are “partners”. The truth is a vast majority of appraisers would love to never have to work for an AMC again. AMCs do not treat appraisers like professionals and the actions of AMCs have only gotten worse over time. The AMC model is based on lies and deceit and constant unneeded added requirements of the appraisers.
AMCs harass appraisers with constant update e-mails, phone calls, engagement letters that are 20 pages in length and requirements to use smart phone aps that track the progress of the appraiser. Mass e-mails to 10, 30 or 50 appraisers looking for the cheapest and fastest appraiser became more common in 2017 with one company (Appraisal Nation) sending mass e-mails to over 200 appraisers at a time multiple times.
The AMC model is selling their services based on providing you a good product with local appraisers that they are their “partners”. Appraisers have gotten used to the disrespect and they work for AMCs out of need as they slowly try to find direct lenders and sources of revenue other than the corrupt AMC model that shows no respect to the appraisal profession.
While disrespect has long been a part of the AMC model the AMC you use, Solidifi, has taken the disrespect to another level by sending the following e-mail to appraisers this holiday season. As you can see there is no respect and it appears it is acceptable to be completely condescending to the point of communicating to professional appraisers like they are in the sixth grade.
If this offends you as much as it did the appraisers who received this e-mail you might want to consider getting away from the AMC model and going with a portal such as AppraisalPort, Mercury Network or AppraisalScope as appraisers would much rather work in the portal environment rather than for the AMC model that has continued to disrespect the professional appraiser. Below is the e-mail sent to appraisers from Solidifi.
Just a few reminders about the holidays and order deliveries around this time of year:
- If you have an order due on Christmas eve, Christmas or the day after, please make plans to meet the due date or turn reports in early. Turning reports in late due to a holiday is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Every effort should be made to set the right delivery expectations.
- IF there are revisions on your file, please try your best to be available to address revisions on a rush if possible. Obviously, I don’t expect you to take time away from your families, but I still do expect an ETA from you, as we are paying you for a product and expect the product to be delivered in a timely fashion.
- UPDATE. UPDATE. UPDATE. Please make sure orders are notated properly, especially if there is borrower delay. I have been reaching out to borrowers on files who have confirmed they have been able to meet sooner than the appraiser has in the system. Please note, I can and will check with borrowers, so please ensure notes are kept.
- Lastly, please double check lender requirements on orders, and please note that ALL COMP PHOTOS ARE TO BE ORIGINAL ON ALMOST EVERY ORDER. If there is a comparable that cannot have a photo taken for whatever reason, take the best photo possible (i.e. road closed sign, construction) and include an MLS photo with commentary outlining why the photo could not be taken.
I should not have to call the same people on the exact same revisions that keep coming back. I have seen far too many people get dinged on original photos, so if this continues, the workload with drop until these problems are fixed. Volume is down across the country, so there should be no reason why original photos cannot be taken in a timely manner. If there are any problems, please let me know!
If you read this entire thing, please acknowledge and tell me your favorite Christmas movie. Thanks!”
Appraisal Nation Blasts 200 Appraisers for Fee and Turn Time:
On Friday, Appraisersblogs posted an article, “”. This article was about appraisers responding to an email blast from Appraisal Nation to 200 appraisers asking for bid fee and turn time bids. The recipients were not blind copied!
We have never worked with Appraisal Nation before and don’t know how we ended up on their panel.”
Take a look at the article. Two excellent responses to the AMC are quoted and of course they hit “reply all” so all 200 appraisers got those responses.
In another scenario, the AMC asked the appraiser for updated documents 9 times and the appraiser ignored the emails. Finally, here is what the appraiser sent after the 9th request:
“I have received your numerous requests (9 to be exact) for updated documents from you. A search of my completed appraisal assignments and offers for assignments does not reveal anything from your company. Please explain why it is necessary for Source Appraisal Management to have my personal documents when your company does not offer, nor assign me any appraisal orders?
I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful, just trying to understand.”
The time is now for all appraisers to come together and take back our profession. To join VaCAP, click here.
- AMC Engagement Letter: Appraisers Do Not Include Your Invoice - July 28, 2023
- We the People… - April 9, 2023
- Federal Valuation Agency Impact on Appraisers & the Public - July 22, 2022