What’s Your Pleasure?
50 3 5 2 1 4 3
Appraisers Have Choices…
So the bartender asks, what’s your pleasure?
Appraisers have choices; choices that impact how we do business, with whom we do business and why we do business. Outcomes and consequences of these choices can and will vary.
One of the choices we face, and perhaps is one of the most important choice, are you going to be an industry leader or are you going to be a follower? Any organization, appraisal profession or not, needs both leaders and followers to survive. Professional organizations for appraisers are an important part of the future of the industry. Whether it is a national organization or a state coalition, which organization is the right fit for you? We have choices, each with its own mission, goals, values and personality. Many appraisers belong to several organizations as no one organization can be a one stop shop for appraisers. It is important to know about each organization and what are their mission, goals and values.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Are you a leader or follower?
- Is the organization supporting the issues that are important to you?
- Does the organization offer designations?
- Are designations beneficial to your long term goals?
- Is the organization transparent in their efforts?
- Is the organization sharing industry news in a timely manner?
- Who are the members? Are they your peers and colleagues?
- Will the organization help me with a specific issue with an AMC or lender?
- Does the organization have a good relationship with its members? Nonmembers? Other organizations? Regulators? National Association of Realtors?
- Where is the organizations money being spent? Advertising? Lobbying? Payroll?
- Who decides where money is spent? Are members consulted?
VaCAP exists to unite, preserve and promote the collective interests of all appraisal professionals in the Commonwealth of Virginia. We are an organization developed by and for boots on the ground appraisers. We are led by our members. Last week VaCAP conducted a survey of our membership to learn what we are doing correctly and where we can improve. We also asked about the future and specifically where our efforts need to be focused.
VaCAP believes in transparency and we are sharing the results of that survey, not just with our members, but with our entire database of followers. This following just happens to extend nationwide due to our communication, efforts and results. The results of the survey are very telling and self-explanatory. Our membership is pleased with what we are doing and we are in the right direction. Of course there are areas in which we can and will do better.
VaCAP is 100% volunteer. We do not have a large overhead and our expenses remain low. We pass that low operating costs on to our members with dues of only $84.00 per year. We organize and work smart to accomplish what we start. Our members are the reason VaCAP is successful. Thank you for supporting VaCAP!
So what’s you pleasure?