Protect Yourself Against Racial Bias Claims
OREP is sponsoring a free webinar on how to protect yourself and your business against discrimination claims. Leading trial attorney Craig Capilla has handled nearly 1,000 appraiser cases in his career and has been on the frontlines defending appraisers from lawsuits, state board complaints, and now, HUD Fair Housing (Discrimination) complaints.
Capilla began his legal career working for Illinois’ professional regulation agency as a real estate prosecutor and since then has become one of the nation’s foremost experts in appraiser liability and defense!
You can learn the latest on what is happening across the appraisal industry, what you should watch out for, and how to protect yourself and your business in today’s litigious environment.
In the webinar, titled “Avoiding Discrimination Claims and Protecting your Business“, you will learn:
- The ins and outs of bias and discrimination claims/complaints
- Subtle items and language that are causing problems in your reports.
- What claims look like, how to protect yourself against them, and what liability concerns are
- What to say / not to say (and why!)
- Specific phrases and buzzwords to avoid
- How to create and maintain sufficient support in your Reports/Workfiles
- How to look out for pre-populated and boilerplate language just as much as the words actively chosen by the appraiser.
This webinar will be on Thursday June 30 from 1-2 pm EDT. You can sign up here.
Forum on Racial Bias in the Home Appraisal Process:
Also, the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) in partnership with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs will be holding a forum today between 12-1 pm (June 23, 2022) where appraisal bias will be discussed. To register click here.